Friday, July 08, 2005

Are Antiques Beautiful or Freaky?

I love it when magazines provide suggestions of websites to visit. Today, I surfed a few provided by Lucky Magazine to see if they are worth remembering.

First stop: Costco.com. I love shopping at the actual stores but since it's just hubby and me there's really no need to shop there at all (I mean, do we really need 20 rolls of paper towels and 5 pounds of cereal?) Needless to say, we only go there once a year. But the website did have some interesting fashion finds like Ferragamo and Prada bags and wallets. Selection is puny but to know that it's there is worth remembering. I also like the Longchamp tote shown on the website but of course it wasn't available. Now we all know they have diamonds and other fine jewelry at Costco but did you guys know that they sell urns and caskets too? Creepy.

And I've always loved antiques but I don't think I can buy any yet given a phobia that can't be named and root cause of that can't be found. Yes, some pieces are exquisite and can't be matched by any modern craftsmanship but doesn't the idea that these things have gone through god knows what kind of history give it some sort of "life"? What if some of these pieces are cursed because of their past? Bad, horrible feng shui if I bring it into our home. *shiver* I know it's just my ultra superstitious side talking (developed from watching "The Shining" at the tender age of 8). Indulge me and play along. Paris hotel boutique has some great antique pieces but its "ghost mirror" is one of the creepiest items I've seen. Other interesting items: Vintage end tables & 1900s writing desk --I think this desk is gorgeous! The deep color of the wood is so luxe looking. Simple and classic, don't you think? Too bad it's so expensive.

Enokiworld.com. Another fun vintage website mostly for clothing and accessories.
*Interesting...but hard to wear
*What a beautiful bag!
*Nice looking but highly impractical
*So modern looking
*Someone please buy this bag!(I personally can't after yesterday's purchase, but someone should. asap.)
*NO!This bag is even better than the last one I mentioned
*I want someone to buy these only so I can see them on!
*This is exactly the type of sweater I've been looking for. Chunky, yet drapey and not very grandma-like. Please let me know if you know where there is one like it.
*What a cute dress! This would look gorgeous on Yihaw

I'm sure everyone can see that the first things I look at are shoes and bags. I'm definitely a shoe and bag fiend, but I also think they're the safest thing to shop for on the web. Of these websites, I will definitely visit Enokiworld more often. Let me know if you have other websites you think are worth visiting.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kris said...

muy excellente site! as for the chunky sweater - i almost feel as though forever 21 would have something like that... :/

July 11, 2005 11:45 AM  
Blogger Sup said...

you think shopping at costco is excessive for 2 people? then, i will not dare show you my arsenal of string cheese, bbq sauce & mini quiches (all for 1). woe-is-me.

July 12, 2005 10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home